Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thankful Thursday - An Open Letter to My Momma

Mom,
You left town just over 24 hours ago, and Camdyn has already asked me a gazillion times "Where's Gramma?"  You are missed already. 

It's always so amazing to me how easily you just blend right in to our family life when you visit.  You anticipate what needs to be done and where you should be, before I even have the chance to ask.  Case in point, you must have emptied the dishwasher 5 times in 12 days, and never once did I ask you to.  Although, I try not to show it, you can tell when I'm exhausted, or overwhelmed, and you remind to take care of myself.  You know me.  You know me, like maybe only God knows me. 

That night when we spent a half hour playing 2 different types of Memory Games in Cam's bedroom and we concluded that memory really does go downhill with age, I was a bit saddened.  Saddened that we don't live around the block, saddened that you can't take the girls out to pizza on a Friday night, and then just drop them back off at home.  Saddended that these moments only happen 2 - 3 times a year. 

And, just as I begin to reflect on the choices that I made in my life; The choices that brought me to California for 4 1/2 years, the choices that lead to marrying a man who didn't live in my hometown; the choices that brought me 2 babies whom you love like they are your own.  I am THANKFUL.  I realize that the choices are blessings, and had my path led me to a different destination, the 2 little girls that brought our lives full circle, wouldn't be here.  The happiness that I feel when we are all together wouldn't be there.  The moments, like Belle's belly laughs during tubby time, wouldn't resound the way that they do.  Those moments would be lost in the casualness of everyday life. 

One day I hope that something will change, maybe the retirement years will allow you to spend more time down here.  Or, maybe I'll find myself a SAHM, and can spend more time up north.  But, for now, I'll treasure the moments, visit and revisit my pictures, and THANK the heavens that you are the type of Mom & Gramma that invests your time in your family.

You are the Momma I am learning to be.

Love,
Your baby girl

PS:  And when I found that 100 bucks that you snuck behind my cell phone as I took your suitcase out of my truck, I smiled.  Because that's what you always do and I could even hear you saying "buy something that is just for you."  And, then I laughed as Liz checked her cup holder to see if you left her $100 too. 





13 comments:

Alysha said...

i love when i post can make me cry because it explains my life so well. I should write a letter just like this to my mom after every time she visits. And then a post that can lead to laughter because moments in life really are hilarious. :)

Liz said...

What a great letter. It pretty much sums up my life too...... It makes me realize how similar our stories are, with how we met our husbands, why we moved out of our hometowns, and how our babies make us understand the importance of family. It's hard, but the moments we spend together with our parents, they are so special and filled with so many memories that these moments will be cherished forever.

P.S. I was hoping for that $100!!! Just kidding :) It was great to see your parents.... like always :)

Anonymous said...

Carol- what a wonderful tribute to your mom and her visit. I am so glad to hear you "Soaked Up" every second of having her close. And it is SO a Mom thing to leave the $$$. Don't you love that? I do. Maybe she hid more in your house! Just kidding!

Mama Hen said...

Carol I love love love this! That is so cute about the 100 dollars! That is so special that you have this relationship with your mom and I can understand your wanting her to live closer by! I love my mom so much and cherish every second she visits us. Have a great day!

Mama Hen

Unknown said...

Not gonna lie, I totally cried. I want my daughter to be like you :)

Mama Hen said...

I agree with Amanda above! Hey Carol, it is me again! I would love to get some of my favorite blogging women to show some blog love for a blog buddy of mine(http://lovecommaashlee.blogspot.com/). She went through a rough patch and it would be so nice if some of the super blog women could show her some support! Have a great night!

Mama Hen

Eastlyn and co. said...

Carol-I posted a comment yesterday but must not have guessed my mystery word correctly or something. I'll try again...Your letter sounds like what every mother one day hopes for: admiration and appreciation from her grown children. It must be terribly difficult to have such limited time for you and your girls to share with your mom. My mom lives 2 miles away, and my husband's family is also near; so I see them and the rest of my family with great frequency. Not to sound ungrateful, but sometimes I wish there was a little more distance so my kids could have the "going to visit Grandma" experience. Guess it's human nature to want what you don't have. I make a concerted effort to show true appreciation for my family so as not to take them for granted or take advantage of them. I'll bet your girls will be writing you similar letters when they're grown up women. -EW stopping by from htty://eastlynandcompany.blogspot.com

Eastlyn and co. said...

Sorry, that should be: http://eastlynandcompany.blogspot.com

Nic said...

I need a tissue. Or twelve. :)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet letter! I found you over at The Life of Rylie and Bryce too. I'm hoping to stick around :)

LeeAnn said...

Awwww Carol that was so sweet! My mom is the same way in that she just blends in when she is here. She knows what needs to be done and just does it. Fortunately for me she is only 2 hours away and is here all the time. I'm sorry you only get to see your mom a few times a year, but like you said, it just makes your visits that much better. :-) And she leaves you $100? That's pretty awesome!

Liza said...

I love it! The part where she left you $100 made me think of when I'd go visit my grandma and I'd leave her a little letter somewhere (usually in my raisin jar that she had for me). I'll have to start doing that with my daughter soon!

Mama Hen said...

Hey Carol, I love that video! Just stopped by to say hi and have a great weekend!

Mama Hen