Monday, July 26, 2010

My Kid is NOT going to be a Serial Killer....probably

Camdyn and I spent the last two weeks plugging away on a little book called "Ramona & Beezus."  I went to the library looking for "The Indian in the Cupboard" but couldn't get my hands on it, so we settled for Ramona.  I remember reading all the Beverly Cleary books as a child, and thought this would be a great 1st non-picture book for her. 

And then, by chance, I saw a commercial for the movie.  Perfect Timing! 

We finished the book on Saturday night, so yesterday I took Camdyn to see the movie.  This is also the first non-cartoony movie she's seen at the theater.  We crunched on popcorn and sipped on soda as the movie played on.  She laughed at all the right places, and asked questions in a voice far louder than a whisper.



And, then it happened. She showed me that she is indeed her mother's child, and that she inherited my sensitive, sappy, and emotional side. Toward the end of the movie there is a scene where Ramona decides to run away because she is fed up with always messing things up. Her mother helps her pack her suitcase and sends her off. She walks down the street and is waiting at the bus stop, when her mother's voice blares from the baby monitor (weird, cause those aren't two-way radios, but whatever) in her suitcase. Then, the bus moves, and Ramona's family is standing there. At this point, Camdyn bursts in to tears. I'm not talking about one big crocodile tear rolling down her cheek, I'm talking sobbing. She even buried her head in to my chest as she cried. Now, it was definitely a tear jerky kind of moment, my eyes were misty, but when Cam started to cry, I. Lost. It. 

It was such as sweet moment.

When, we got home we talked about the movie, the cat that died in the movie (no tears at that part), and about Ramona's wild imagination, and about the "happy tears" at the end of the movie. 


I was pretty much floored that a child her age (4 1/2) could empathize with a character to the point where she was moved to tears.  That she could place herself in Ramona's shoes, and imagine all of the feelings that Ramona was feeling, and then display them.


Camdyn on the "Mermaid Rock."  Usually when we walk by this rock in our neighbor's yard, she climbs on it and starts belting "Up where they walk, up where they run, up where they play all day in the sun..." 

And because of that gift, that ability to feel for others, I deduce that Camdyn will more than likely not be a Serial Killer, or an animal abuser, and she'll probably grow up to be a compassionate and albeit sappy writer. 

Like Mother.  Like Daughter.

11 comments:

Nic said...

The year is 1988. I am 5 1/2 years old and sitting in the theater watching A Land Before Time. Little Foot is chasing his own shadow yelling, "Mama!". I am sobbing hysterically. I grew up and didn't become a serial killer so I totally second your theory.

ps: I want to see that movie soooo badly. I will probably wind up going alone since people look at me like I'm weird when I mention I want to see it.

Sippy Cup Mom said...

She is so adorable. Really truly.

Liz said...

Awww I love that. You didn't tell me about that when we talked last night, then again you had your hands full with the kiddies.

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, and although you felt a bit overwhelmed this weekend, just think that YOU were the one that got to share that special moment with her. :)

Heligirl said...

Oh how SWEET is that? How amazing to watch her empathy and caring blossom and grow. I'm sure she also felt a strong sense that she didn't want to be away from you like the character did from her mom in the movie. I just melt when my little girl shows me that love.

themrs said...

i'm so happy for you that she's not going to be a serial killer! :) i cried my eyes out ET (i was about four). still one of the only movies i've ever cried at! and i've never killed anyone. that's my story and i'm sticking to it...

Unknown said...

How sweet that she could be so emphathetic toward the characters in the movie. What a sweet girl! Congrats on a "no serial killer" policy.

DadStreet said...

What a sweet post! Isn't it amazing when we find out new things about our children? Jake's only 11 months (almost) and O is 27 months so they're a bit away from 4 1/2 but every little "new" thing they show me just blows me away!

I love your pics! Nice bokeh effect in the first shot!

Unknown said...

Just gave you an award...come get it at TVs Take

Mama Hen said...

Oh Carol what a little sweet baby you have! I would cry too! That last picture is precious! What a nice post! Thank you for your comment! Hope you stop by and see the pictures from our fun day! I am so pooped out! :)

Mama Hen

Sassy said...

That is the sweetest thing ever! :)

LeeAnn said...

Your blog is making me cry today. Good thing there is only one more post to catch up on! ;-)

So sweet.