Thursday, June 3, 2010

I Retire My Super Mom Cape

I think it is time for me to remove my cape, wad it up in a ball, and chuck that sucker in the dirty laundry pile. 

In the past week, I have come to the realization that I just can not do it all, all of the time.  I can not be three places at one time, I can not please everyone all of the time, and I certainly can not expect myself to be able to do said things.  I've come to the point where I'm over-stretched, exhausted, and it's sucking the life force right out of me. 

I used to think that when my kids got older it would get easier and that things would smooth out.  Well, SPOILER ALERT, for those of you with infants and toddlers.  It doesn't get easier, it gets harder, life becomes more scheduled, and things just get BUSIER.  The life of a pre-schooler involves "school" activities, events planned by school moms (like a pamper-me spa night that I really wish I could go to but probably won't make) and then add that to the mix, of swim lessons, gymnastics, weekly errands etc. and suddenly you find yourself stretched T-H-I-N. 

And while I'm busy making sure that we attend every party so no one's feelings get hurt, and because the kiddo wants to, and because I like to be social, I forget that somewhere in there, I have to take care of myself.  And, while I wish I could make it to the gym because my frickin' pants are too tight, probably because I have to order out more than I should, I don't go because I am exhausted, or because I would rather tuck my kids in instead of run on a treadmill.

So, I've been busy taking care of everybody's needs and acquiescing to everyone's expectations and desires, and I have forgotten about myself.  I blame the cape and my inability to say the word NO  decline.  I'm practicing it, I'm working on living with disappointing people, backing graciously out of commitments, and hopefully the people that love me, and support me, and really know me, will understand that sometimes I just have to take care of Me. 

So, screw off Super Mom Cape - I'm a damned mortal and I'm done with taking a break from pretending that I can do it all.

(but, I'm pretty sure that after I wash the cape, and it's neatly pressed and hanging in the closet, I'll probably put it back on....because that is what I do and I know me that well)

1 comment:

LeeAnn said...

I could have written this post myself! I actually backed out of a girls' night tonight just because I'm too damn exhausted to go. I hope you can get some time for yourself to regroup. We all have to wad our capes up some days, and that is OK.

But now you just scared me because I thought life would get easier for me as these kids get older. ;-)