Friday, June 4, 2010

Cameron - If you only knew....

I'm typically a Cameron Diaz fan.  I think it started when Hubs and I went on our first date and saw the movie "There's Something About Mary."  Or her level of funny in "The Sweetest Thing" with Christina Applegate, I laugh every time that tin foil swan filled with rotten food hits the windshield.  And who can forget her voicing Fiona in Shrek, which is pretty much Cam's favorite movie, so we here her voice all.the.time.

But, then she went ahead and did an interview for British Vogue (if you wanna read an excerpt on huffington post click here) and said this:

On baby urges:
"You know how you have these moments of feeling dissatisfied and you think, 'what would make my life better?' Well, I've yet to go, 'Aha, that's it: a child!' I don't want to not do a film at a moment's notice."

and changed my view of her naivete. 

I recall having a conversation (probably several) in my early 20's, with my mom.  And she would hint that she wanted grandkids someday (way off in the future).  I would tell her "I am not having kids until my life is already over."  ::shakes head, closes eyes, and looks at the floor::.  My momma would look at me with a little bit of pity and a little bit of heartache and kinda like I just punched her in the throat.  Was I insinuating that her life was over because she had kids?  I don't think so, but I'm sure it came across that way.  To me, in my "I know it all" early 20's, I was selfishly unwilling to give up what I knew to be life (also known as bar hopping and binge drinking) and truly believed that when you had kids, your life was over and changed and I didn't want to do that until I had sucked the marrow out of what life had to offer (see bar hopping and binge drinking and add traveling the world, conquering the Aztecs, and whatever else I thought I would do to make my mark on the world).

Little did I know, and little does Cameron Diaz know, BUT MY MOMMA knew, THAT KIDS DO MAKE LIFE BETTER!  Yeah, they are a huge commitment, they keep you up at night, they cost a damn fortune, BUT, you don't know the sweetness in life until you look in to your own eyes, until your baby nuzzles deep into the folds of your neck, until you watch your baby sleeping.  Until you understand the joy of watching something you created grow, walk, talk, and express independent thoughts.  You don't know the sweetness of hugs and sloppy kisses, and the unconditional love of a child.  You don't realize how much life has to offer until you have a child.  In fact, I'm willing to say that life starts over when you have a child.  Once again, you find yourself blowing bubbles, making silly faces, watching cartoons, eating cereal out of the box, and re-living your childhood with your child. 

So, Miss Diaz, I'm thrilled that you are satisfied with your career, your model figure, and your boyfriend ::sticks finger down throat in gagging motion::  BUT, I feel a little bit sad for you.  Sad that you don't realize the joys that you are missing, and sad that you imply that children would not make your life better. 

And, since I once voiced the same thoughts that you are, I will go ahead and thank the Lord, that I can blame them on my age and immaturity - and unfortunately, honey, you don't have that excuse.


3 comments:

Mama Hen said...

You are right Carol, children are a huge responsibility! People, especially many very young people, think that having a baby will make things all better. It is something that people have to be ready for. This was a good post. Have a great weekend!

Mama Hen

LeeAnn said...

Oh my gosh Carol. This post made me cry. You are so right! Your life does begin all over again when you have children. It isn't easy, and your life definitely does change, but it is all worth it. I have never known happiness like I know it now, even though I thought my bar hopping and binge drinking made me happy too. This was a great post!

Have a great day!

Sonora said...

This post needs a standing ovation! Wow! Well, said and so very true. I love this post so much. I so completely agree. It is hard, very hard, but it really is like starting life over and getting to be a kid again. What is that quote about being a mother is when your heart walks around outside of your body. I wouldn't miss being a mother for the world.