Friday, October 15, 2010

Down on the Farm

The farm is part of my childhood memories.  It's a place we would go and gather with family on holidays, we would explore the barns and the fields with our cousins, we would play on the basketball court in the hayloft of the big barn.  We would chase farm cats, and play hide and seek.  It's a place that holds thousands of memories of my childhood and I hadn't been there in well over a decade.

Although the land is still worked, the farm is otherwise vacant.  My Grandad no longer lives in the old farm house, the barns are empty of cattle, chickens and rabbits.  Some of the machinery is old and neglected.  But, it's still beautiful and it's still a piece of me and of my family history. 


This is the place my Momma was raised.  The land she did her chores on in the 50's.  It's also her childhood we re-visited that day.

Camdyn was fascinated by the farm even though it didn't have animals on it.  She listened to my Momma's stories about where the animals used to be and how she used to feed them.  And, then we wandered down the path and in to the field and stopped to play with a pile of corn that was left behind.

They loved the way it felt in their fingers.  They loved throwing it and rolling in it under the bright mid morning sun. 

And, I realized how special it is that three generations are standing on this land.  The Farm won't be a monthly excursion for my girls, but I hope that they will grow up understanding that it's part of the roots from which they came.

I hope my girls understand that it's my Momma's life experiences that have molded her and thereby shaped me.  And, it's my experiences that are molding them.  

We are all connected to the generations before us.


If you look at this picture below and see trouble looming....

You would be correct.  It wasn't long after this picture was snapped that Camdyn came sliding down this pile of gravel and took out the poor baby standing at the bottom.  It was probaby the only not-so-great thing that happened on the farm that day.
So, we dusted the baby off, wiped away her tears, and then spent some time playing with soybeans and looking at antique tractors.  My Grandad must have 20 tractors on his farm.  Some are old and inoperable (I assume) and some are new. 


And, then we piled in the car and drove 40 minutes back to City life with the joy of reminiscing spread across our faces, and little pieces of corn tucked in our hems and pockets. 

17 comments:

Rochelle@AFamilyofLooneys said...

It is so nice that you have a place like that to take your kids. My grandmother had a small farm. I remember how much fun I had there as a kid. I feel sad that my kids will not experience that.

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

ABsolutely gorgeous photos! There's nothing quite like being on the farm. :)

Anonymous said...

What a neat post thank you for sharing. I love the pictures. It looks like your little ones had a good time.

Ashley Sisk said...

City life has it's advantages but you can't beat the simplicity of living on a farm...or just in the country. I love these shots.

LeeAnn said...

Great pictures Carol! I'm so glad you were able to share the farm with your kids. Even though they won't have the same memories you have of it, they are making new memories of an old place. It will be a part of their lives, just like it was yours.

As soon as I saw that picture of Cam sitting on top of the gravel pile, I knew what would be coming next. ;-)

Ashley said...

Fabulous pictures! What a special day, you really captured it.

Mama Hen said...

Oh my Carol these pictures are beautiful! What a sweet nostalgic time! It is so special that we can capture so much these days with our camera. Have a great day!

Mama Hen

Heligirl said...

What a beautifully written post Carol. I so love your photos too. It sounds like you had a lovely time on the farm. I hope you can continue to share it with your little ones. It's a proud family heritage.

Colleen (Shibley Smiles) said...

That sounds like an awesome time, and to be able to share it with your children. You always seem like you live such a wonderful life and have a great history!

cooperl788 said...

These are wonderful shots of an awesome day! I spent every summer on my uncle's farm from the time I was 12 until I graduated college. They were the best summers of my life - thanks for bringing my memories back!

Lindsey said...

Beautiful photos with wonderful memories! What a blessing :)

vanita said...

this was a lovely story. one of these days, when i have money again, i'm taking my kids to their father & my parent's homeland (i was born in NYC). I want them to walk in lush grass, pet farm animals, fish in the creek and climb a mango tree (just a little, not too high). I want them to eat fresh fruit just picked from the trees and see how people can live without laptops and cell phones and cable tv and be happy.

Crystal said...

You have been awarded by My Life as Mom and Wife! Click here http://kennedymomandwife.blogspot.com/2010/10/awards-awards-who-has-awards.html to accept your awards!

Have a great day!
Crystal
kennedymomandwife.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Love the photos! I grew up on a ranch/farm until I was about 10 so those photos really bring me back. How neat that your able to share the experience with your girls. Hope you are well, KneeDeep!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for sharing such a great part of your past with us as well as with your kids. I couldn't even imagine life on a farm...I am sure it was so much fun. The girls are lucky that they can still visit and learn about their family history. All of the pics are just beautiful :)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Beautiful pictures!!! It looks like a great place to visit!

Brenners said...

Oh my. LOVE the light in these photos. Absolutely perfect. It captures the crispness of fall. It's wonderful to be able to spend some time in the "home land" occassionly. I alwasy love "going home".

(Found you through the nestwork.)

http://unsolicitedadvice-n-such.blogspot.com