Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Slowin' It Down

My New Year's Resolution this year is to slow down and resist the urge to over schedule my life.  Like ALL NYR's it's a challenge, but I'm going to keep working on it....right after I get back from Vegas, and after Disney World at the end of the month, and Camdyn's Birthday celebration with her friends....you get the drift.

But, this past weekend we made the effort.  We indulged in a lazy Saturday morning that looked like this:

We ate homemade waffles and lounged in our jammies as long as we could.  Then, we trotted off to a birthday party and bounced and ate cake and then piled in the car for nap time and drove and drove and drove until we deemed the length of nap sufficient.  Then, I awoke Cam outside of the horse stables where we will hold her 5th birthday party with her friends in a few weeks.  When she looked out the window she saw girls participating in a riding lesson and she was in awe.  She squealed with giddiness and could not stop talking about the horses and their riders.

Then, we went home and played outside with the neighborhood kids.  We played basketball, rode our scooters, we played with buckets and rocks and went on wagon rides around the neighborhood.

And then the ice cream truck showed up on a balmy January evening just moments before dinner was on the table...and we indulged.  We spoiled our appetites and our dinner and enjoyed every second of it.  As the sun began to set we gathered the toys, lowered the garage door, and spent the rest of the evening snacking, playing games, and enjoying the slow life.  The life that allows us to spend just a little more time enjoying each other's company and family life.  This my friends, is exactly the way it should be.

8 comments:

cooperl788 said...

You are so right. That IS exactly how a weekend should go. Jeremy and I make every effort to do absolutely nothing on the weekends, to really unwind and recharge.

LeeAnn said...

That sounds like a PERFECT weekend! I need one of those soooo bad. Because, like your last post, I am right there with you at wit's end. It's not a fun place to be. I hope your week is going well. :-)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a divine day! Congrats on chill'in when you can

Mama Hen said...

Goodness these pictures are really cute! Slowing down and not over scheduling is a great goal! The ice cream truck sounds really yummy! We are getting some more snow tonight! It is a little too cold for ice cream, but I will look forward to it in the summer!

Mama Hen

Lindsey said...

And this is the way life should be! Love it! She is such a doll! Love the one with her all wrapped up all warm and snuggly!

Jennifer said...

Okay...first off. I am jealous. Jealous that guys are still 'playing' outside and going for wagon rides after dinner. It makes me miss the warmer weather :) It is great to have days where you are all in your pj's and just hanging out and having fun family time. Glad you are trying to stick to your resolution :)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

It sounds like a wonderful weekend! I really need one just like it!

Eastlyn and co. said...

Agreed! I wish I had spent more days like that when my kiddoes were smaller.