Monday, February 22, 2010

This is the House...


This is the house. It's not THE house, as in the be all, end all, of all houses. But, this is the house, my house, that over the course of 7 years somehow became a home. In a city where we knew no one, in a place thousands of miles from our closest relative, this little structure became our home. As we prepare to move on and leave this house behind, I can't help but to remember some of the times that we have had in this house. And, in my all too familiar way, I'm a little sappy and nostalgic about some of the memories.
This is the house that we bought as newly weds. Six months after our wedding, in a place we never thought we'd like, we settled down in this little house. Okay, so maybe the settling down happened several years after we signed the mortgage papers, but nonetheless, we settled here. This is the doorstep I would stand on every year at the end of March. Teary eyed, I would wave good bye to Chris, knowing he wouldn't be back in our house for 6 months. I'd walk inside, sit on the couch, and think "now what am I going to do with myself." Oh, to have that kind of time on my hands again. I would have spent more time being productive then feeling sorry for myself and lonely. If only I knew what the future held.
This is the house that our baby girls would first call home. Those exciting trips home from the hospital with our precious new baby and the pure relief of seeing HOME. Baby's homecoming pictures were snapped on this walkway. Tired, overwhelmed, and brimming new parents, with our new bundle of responsibility smiling to mark the moment. I spent hours rocking Camdyn in this little house, singing her songs, and soothing her to sleep. She learned to walk, talk, and played for hours in this little house. Here, under this roof, she's developed in to her own little person and I'm sure at some point she'll miss it here. It's the only home she's ever known.
Here under this roof, I developed in to mommy. I traded my 4 inch heals and short skirts, for tennis and jeans. I learned what true love and responsbility is. I learned what it is like to be committed, to a marriage, to parenthood, to living a life that is based on goodness and basic biblical principals. In this house, I finally figured out who I am. I figured out that friendships shouldn't have stipulations attached to them, that my girlfriends are just as important to me as my husband. I learned that you can hurt and forgive, that time heals all wounds, and that I shouldn't place my expectations on others. I learned to ask for help. Life is too short. People matter. God is good.
So, while I am leaving this house behind, I'm taking the memories with me. It's been a great 7 years in this little house. And in it, we became a family. And in it, this town became our home. We are better for having lived here and although, I am excited to have more space, a better floor plan, and a nicer neighborhood, I am grateful for all the wonders of life that we've experienced in this little house, the house, my house, that became a home.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Phew... that was a tear jerker.... I'm a a sap too.

Kate said...

Gah, Carol. I'm glad I read this at home instead of work. I hate crying at work.

Michelle & Jimmy Rivas said...

Wow Carol....What power words! I'm all tears....

LCW said...

thanks for sharing this post. I appreciate your comment. you're right we can make this current house our home.